It was in October TWENTY years ago that Dalen and I went out on our first date. We went to a haunted house with a bunch of other people and then out for Chinese with another couple. It was not the best date ever. I don't exactly remember why. But after that date I remember thinking that while Dalen was a nice guy, I was not particularly interested in him. Apparently he thought the same thing because it was a good four months before he asked me out again. However, on that first date at the Chinese restaurant my fortune cookie said, "YOU WILL FIND HAPPINESS IN MARRIAGE." Hmmmm.....It was in October NINETEEN years ago that Dalen and I got married. And what do you know? That fortune cookie turned out to be right! Not that it's always been perfect. There have been struggles and frustrations and times when I was quite convinced that no one could possibly annoy me more than this man. But on the whole, our life together has been incredibly good. Dalen has taken care of me and put up with me and and tempered me and stood by me and I am so, so grateful. We have been blessed with wonderful children that we adore. I cannot imagine any other group of people that I would rather spend my life with. Yes, I truly have found happiness in marriage!
This year our anniversary fell on a Saturday and we barely had time to say hello. Aleah had an orchestra event, there was a soccer game, and Dalen spent most of the day in meetings associated with Stake Conference. That night we ate tacos from Torchy's in the church library and made copies of programs for the various sessions of conference. (Who says the romance is dead?) A week after our anniversary had passed, we finally got to go out and celebrate. We had Chinese. This time my fortune cookie said, "Love is the triumph of imagination over intelligence." Hmmmm..... I guess fortune cookies don't know everything after all!

4 comments:
Happy anniversary to one of my favorite couples! Look what a great family has come of that first date - love it!
Also loved having lunch and catching up with you today - we need to do that more often! xoxo
ah, i just loved this sweet tribute! you two are fabulous.
Oh my, I LOVE it when you post, because no matter what it's about I get to laugh right out loud. :)
Happy anniversary to a couple of my favorites as well! You and Dalen are seriously one of the most compatible couples I've known. You make a really great team, and beautiful kids as well. ;)
Btw, how much do you weigh in that wedding picture...12 lbs??!
Post a Comment